- Originating from Chinese Acupuncture and Japanese Acupressure the beginning of EFT or “Tapping”, as it’s known today, was identified in the 1980’s (known then as Thought Field Therapy).
- Tapping is growing worldwide and scientific research is strong; initially showing how effective it was for anxiety, depression and PTSD. Since the 2000’s the research has been establishing it as an effective technique for many issues, mental, emotional and physical.
- Essentially a simple technique to diffuse the ‘charge’ we can experience on all levels (mentally, emotionally, physically, energetically) associated with a past or current negative experience.
- Easy to learn as a basic self help tool for releasing daily stress through to theraputic work with a trained Practitioner to release past negative memories and trauma. Tapping enables us to neutralise and transform mental thought patterns, sabotaging beliefs, unexpressed/unresolved emotions and physical symptoms.
- Negative states cause us stress suppressing our immune systems. Tapping releases the stress, shifts us into positive states and re-engages the natural healing ability of the body, boosting the immune system.
- Tapping has also been shown to create new neural pathways in the brain. Other physiological benefits show positive change in blood pressure, cortisol levels, heart rate variability and even genetic expression.
Tapping enables exploration and release of the emotions that often underlie the problems we’re experiencing. It can help us deal with current distress which often has it’s roots in the past. It enables us to release old programming and stored emotions which ultimately manifest as physical problems and ill health in the body.
EFT Tapping works with the meridian energy system within the body. When our cells are divided into their finest particles we are in fact energy. Negative thoughts, emotions, sensations cause a disruption in our energy system. Tapping unblocks stuck energy and rebalances our energy system.
Daily stress or a habitual ‘stressed out’ states as well as past unresolved/unreleased negative or traumatic experiences have us in a fight/flight (on alert) or freeze/flop (overwhelmed) state. The amygdala in the brain, responsible for emotions, survival and memory is activated. We are not able to think clearly or effectively problem solve. Further, the more we are in this heightened state the more easily we get triggered into it, a viscious cycle e.g anxiety causes more anxiety, depression causes more depression, pain causes more pain….and more readily overtime.
Tapping on acupressure points sends a calming signal to the brain and central nervous system communicating you are safe from whatever the perceived threat was and re programs your system to be less reactive. We can then operate from our frontal cortex which has us more grounded, resourceful and able to think clearly. In this state we are more stable to do the deeper work to release negative experiences from our past.
Tapping enables us to literally shed our emotional baggage and shift our thinking, patterns and beliefs so we are no longer re-triggered into old stressful reactions, thoughts and emotions from the past. More positive, empowering thoughts, emotions and responses result spontaneously as we let go of the obstacles that hold us back.
EFT falls under the Energy Psychology umbrella. Over 100 research studies, review articles and meta analyses have been published in professional peer reviewed journals. A lot of the research focuses on EFT and 98% of the studies show statistically significant results.
You can look at these websites to see research:
Sarah has EFTi International Accreditation Level 2; with ongoing mentoring & training
Below is a short video which introduces you to Tapping and what to expect if you’d like to know more before your first session.